Over the years, I have focused on inbound marketing. I have come to the conclusion that the inbound marketing methodology is great. It creates value-based marketing that your customer actually wants. I have also come to the conclusion that your company should not rely primarily on inbound marketing to generate leads.
Yes, the statistics, depending on who you ask, are showing that other forms of marketing are dying out. However, after watching the Super Bowl and hearing about the buzz companies like Tide made, I realized that other forms of marketing are still relevant.
Maybe the way we look at marketing needs to change. It is not one or the other. It is not inbound marketing versus outbound marketing. We live in a world that loves the internet and social media. However, we also need to find new ways to get our brand in front of our ideal customer.
So today, as I am putting together a holistic marketing strategy for a client, I stopped to write about a marketing methodology that incorporates the entire organization. That’s right, your marketing should involve your marketing team, sales team, human resources, finance, customer services, product development, the entire company.
The Holistic Marketing Concept
Philip Kotler and Kevin Lane Keller define the holistic marketing approach as follows: “A holistic marketing concept is based on the development, design, and implementation of marketing programs, processes and activities that recognize the breadth and interdependencies. Holistic marketing recognizes that ‘everything matters’ with marketing and that a broad, integrated perspective is necessary to attain the best solution.”
In laymen’s terms, holistic marketing is a marketing philosophy that considers every part of the organization. The organization acts together, not separately. Developing an integrated perspective to drive business results.
Holistic Marketing is Your Brand
Your brand is more than just a logo, stationery, or business card, it is the heart and soul of your organization. Your brand is the reason your customer decides to give you a shot.
Branding and holistic marketing go hand in hand. Your entire organization should believe in the purpose and mission of the company. This makes it easy to integrate marketing into the organization. A great brand will automatically have a holistic marketing approach that extends to the entire organization.
5 Reasons Holistic Marketing Is Important
Okay, holistic marketing sounds powerful, but why is a holistic marketing approach important to your business? Let’s look at 5 reasons holistic marketing is important in driving results.
- Develop a Common Goal – Your customers deserve the very best. Developing customer-centric goals for your business will align your company with the right outcomes, delivering what your customer wants. Holistic marketing will develop a customer experience your customer is expecting.
- Aligned Brand Message – Holistic marketing is going to align your brand message with your actions. Aligning your brand message to your marketing tactics will give you the best long-term results.
- Sales & Marketing Alignment – Sales and marketing typically do not have the same goals making it hard for marketing to deliver qualified leads. The holistic marketing concept will align these goals, ensuring that sales and marketing are moving in the right direction, together.
- Develop clear communication – Communication is important in business. However, many companies work in silos and lack the communication needs to get things done. Holistic marketing by nature ensures that all your department and division are communicating and working together.
- Develop Efficiency in Your Organization – When the organization is aligned, it is easier to reduce repetition. This will also increase the efficiency of processes. Did I hear no more TPS reports?
- Develop a Great Team – Maximizing your marketing efforts takes a marketing team, not a jack-of-all-trades. The alignment holistic marketing brings will help develop a team environment that gets things done.
The benefits of holistic marketing can be vital to the growth of your business. Holistic marketing will create alignment, develop teams, and increase efficiency.
Elements of Holistic Marketing
Your business might be new to marketing. You might be wondering what elements or components make up a holistic marketing plan. Well, it is actually pretty easy, everything. Here are just a few marketing tactics that are part of holistic marketing.
- Inbound Marketing – Inbound marketing is a methodology that attracts a new customer to your website through blogging for business, search engine optimization, and social media. Inbound marketing adds value to the end customer and helps answer their questions. Content is the responsibility of the company, from product development to customer service, there are valuable stories being written every day.
- Public Relations – Public relations is the professional maintenance of a favorable public image by a company or other organization. These marketing tactics involve getting placement in the press. Holistic marketing will give your company press worthy material that the media loves.
- Channel Marketing – Channel marketing is marketing channel that finds distribution channels to sell products or services. Your channel partners should be an integrated part of your holistic marketing strategy because they are representing your brand.
- Relationship Marketing – Relationship marketing focuses on creating long-term customers to relationships. Part of the holistic marketing philosophy is using customer services establish these relationships. If your customer service team is not part of marketing, then you will miss opportunities for referrals and repeated sales.
- Event Marketing – Trade shows, speaking events, networking, and any other event your company can attend should include other aspects of marketing like social media and inbound marketing. A holistic marketing approach will integrate all marketing activities to maximize the results of the event.
As you can see holistic marketing takes the entire organization to execute the marketing plan. From the marketing team to customer service it is the responsibility for all employees to carry out the holistic marketing plan.
Getting Started with Holistic Marketing
Holistic marketing is a new concept for a lot of companies. Why would finance be involved in marketing execution? This is a valid question. In order to get your holistic marketing off the ground, it is going to take time. Here are 5 steps to implementing a holistic marketing plan.
- Get the right people on board – Holistic marketing is going to take a team. It is also going to take the right people. Having the wrong CFO, COO or even the wrong CEO is going to hold up your holistic marketing dreams. If you have the wrong people on the bus, your holistic marketing will never get off the ground. We need team players.
- Develop a plan – You have the right people in place. Holistic marketing has a chance to be successful. It is time for the team to create the holistic marketing plan. This process should involve your entire organization, internal and external (if applicable). Anyone that is going to be touching the plan should be part of the process to create buy-in. If we win, we win together. If we lose, we pivot and move forward. There will be less hurt egos if the team creates the plan versus an individual.
- Take on the right issues – Does your company avoid asking and answering the hard issues? If so, you need to change this. Holistic marketing will help, but the hard questions have to be asked. These issues could be personal, financial, process or just lack of awareness. Holistic marketing will help align the organization on common goals, allowing the business to determine when there is something wrong.
- Create a culture of execution – Plans, strategies, and dream are great. However, they do not get the work done. In order for holistic marketing to work, your business must execute against the plan. Creating a culture of execution is going to help your company get things done. This will increase the chances that your business will see positive returns from your holistic marketing efforts. Execution is the game.
- Measure your results – Measure your results and really understand how things are working in your organization. Get the right systems in place and use technology to determine what is working and what is not working. This is going to help identify the right issues and keep the egos out of it. Data is pretty black and white when used correctly.
Holistic Marketing Conclusion
The holistic marketing concept is a marketing methodology that will align your company and make it more efficient. This marketing methodology encompasses the entire organization and helps the organization move forward toward a common goal. Holistic marketing is a great way to get more out of your marketing dollars.